Szoboszlai - "What we have been missing is back"

 

Liverpool midfielder Dominik Szoboszlai expresses his delight at working with new manager Andoni Iraola as the Hungary captain says "the intensity is back".

The Reds took on Wrexham in a pre-season friendly at Yankee Stadium in New York, USA on Wednesday, 29th July 2026. 

Liverpool won by a goal to nil, courtesy of Rio Ngumoha. The Reds dominated the game in chances created and possession as they strived throughout the game to break down Wrexham's low block.

Speaking to the media at the press conference after the game, Szoboszlai had a lot to say about his contract extension, working under Andoni Iraola, the new changes happening at Liverpool and how the pre-season is going for the Reds.

“I think these two games were different from this one in Chicago [against Leeds]; we have Ryan, Florian and others back. I am looking forward to it, and hopefully we can be even better!”

Dominik Szoboszlai on his new deal:
“I am very happy. I said before. It was a long way until it was over the line. Hopefully I can stay as long as both sides want and win everything. I say the same things now, I want to win everything possible and achieve great things.”

Dominik Szoboszlai on the changes happening at Liverpool:
“A couple of club legends have left the club, but the club is still the same it has always been. It's one of the biggest in the world. Someone left, some came, we have to step up and be an example for the younger generation. I try to set an example on and off the pitch, and lots of players think the same.”

Dominik Szoboszlai on the transfer window:
“I think it's not my job to think about this. I read about the rumours and see things here and there. Of course we're always happy to have players who can help the team, but it is not my decision. I am not the money guy.”

Dominik Szoboszlai on Andoni Iraola:
“It's very good; the intensity is what we need this year now. What we have been missing is back, from the coach and players' side as well. So now we have to put this together with the team we have.”

Dominik Szoboszlai on stepping up:
“I think now a couple of guys have left and we are not the oldest, but we have been here a long time. Florian is the same, Ryan [Gravenberch], Macca, Curtis [Jones], Alex, Ali, Joey, we are all in the same boat, and we want the best for each other.

Captain Virgil, we follow him with what he says. And everyone wants to be successful this season. It's a long-term situation with a new manager; the team has been changed, and in the long term it will work out."


Follow AYEYIBRUCE for more news 
Szoboszlai - "What we have been missing is back" Szoboszlai - "What we have been missing is back" Reviewed by Ayeyi Bruce on July 30, 2026 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.